Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A is for Apples

This past weekend I was bit by the baking bug.  I just can't help it!  Fall is here and it's time to start perfecting some recipes for all the holidays!  Last year I was on a quest to find the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie reciepe, and I've found a pretty good one.  

I decided to bake an apple cobbler this weekend.  I was hoping to find a quick and easy recipe using Bisquick so I would be able to make it often.  Since my dad is a diabetic, I used Splenda for baking in these recipes. Not only does this make them basically sugar free, but it also lowers the calories by a ton!

My first attempt was very easy, it had just a few ingredients.  It was basically like a pot pie with apples and cinnamon inside. 



While everyone said this was tastey, I was not impressed.  The topping was kinda soft and basically flavorless.  

In my second attempt, I decided to try an Apple Crisp.  I thought a crispy topping would taste better.  So I made Aunt Lillian's Apple Crisp Recipe.  Again I used both Splenda Blend and Splenda Brown Sugar for this.   


 

This was a hit!  Everyone loved it and it was gone in a day!  I can promise you it doesn't taste "sugar free" or "healtly".

Here is the Nutrition facts break down per serving (1/8 sized portions):

Calories 223
Carbs 40
Fat 7
Protein  2 
Fiber  3
Sodium  391




No comments:

Post a Comment