Monday, August 13, 2012

Baked Doughnuts

This weekend I decided to try this recipe for Baked Donuts that I found on Pinterest.

I was pretty excited about the thought of a tasty, healthier alternative to doughnuts. A doughnut I wouldn't have to feel as guilty about eating.

The recipe called for simple ingredients that I already had on hand.

First I took a packet of active dry yeast and let it sit in the warm milk to activate.


Then I mixed the remaining ingredients and formed my dough.  I decided to use Splenda (instead of sugar), since I wanted these to be healthy. 


After letting the dough rise for an hour, it had gotten larger, but probably not 'double' in size.  But at this point I was so hungry I couldn't let it sit longer.  (Especially knowing that after I cut out the doughnuts they would have to rise for another 45 minutes!)



After rising for another 45 minutes, this is how big the donuts were.  (I just used a biscuit cutter since I didn't own a doughnut cutter, hence the no holes.)

After baking the doughnuts, they rose slightly but didn't really turn a golden brown, so I left them in the oven for a few additional minutes.

While they were baking I made the simple glaze for the doughnuts.


Finally, two hours later we were able to taste the doughnuts.  

The verdict?  Nothing can compare to a good old fashioned fried doughnut.  These were more like biscuits.  Overall, not too great.  My dad did suggest serving them with jelly because the texture and taste reminded him of a jelly doughnut.




No comments:

Post a Comment