Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Spectacular Now: The Movie

Over Labor Day weekend I was able to see The Spectacular Now movie. This movie is based on the book by Tim Tharp, which I really enjoyed, and it stars Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley.

Miles and Shailene were amazing! I thought Aimee was a weak, sad girl in the novel, but Shailene portrayed her as a strong female who grew up and became even stronger. On the contrary, I believed Sutter's confidence throughout the novel, but maybe that was because it was told from his point of view. In the movie I could see through his act, which I think went well with the movie's ending. I see Shailene becoming the new Hollywood It Girl, especially with her upcoming movies (Divergent, The Fault on Our Stars).

The movie was very fast paced and if you haven't read the book I don't know if you would fully understand the characters. The movie left out just how troubled Sutter was, it was more implied based on other's reactions.

I was very pleased with the movie's ending. While it wasn't a 180 from the book ending, it showed that maybe Sutter can change, and maybe there is hope for he and Aimee in the future.

Overall, I loved The Spectacular Now movie and book! I would recommend reading the book before seeing the movie, and I think you will enjoy both stories for very different reasons.

The next book-soon-to-be-a-movie combination I'm reading is The Wolf of Wall Street, the movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio and comes out in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment