Monday, March 24, 2014

Delicious Cauliflower Mash

I have a new food obsession! I have always loved cauliflower - I can eat it raw in a salad or steamed with a little cheese. But I found a new way to enjoy Cauliflower - CauliMash!

CauliMash is a great, healthy alternative to mashed potatoes. It cooks in the same (if not less) time as mashed potatoes and has fewer calories.

Start by cutting up a head of cauliflower into small pieces. Wash the cauliflower, then add it to a pot of water. Boil the cauliflower for about 15 minutes, until very tender.

Drain the water from the pot. I used a fine mesh strainer to press out any extra water from the florets. This is important so your mash isn't too liquidy. You could also squeeze the cauliflower in a clean dish rag to remove the extra liquid.



With all the liquid removed, put the cauliflower in a bowl, add a tablespoon of butter and start mashing. I used a hand masher, but an electric mixer or ricer would work as well.


My secret ingredient to get the cauliflower mash creamy like potatoes is adding 2-3 tablespoons of cream cheese! This gives the mash a great texture and delicious favor.  I also seasoned with salt, garlic power, cayenne pepper and black pepper. 


The CauliMash tastes amazing! I think using a ricer would give a better "potato" texture, but the flavors taste great. You don't have to feel guilty about having seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment