Monday, August 1, 2011

Itsy bitsy spider...

So last week I noticed a bug bite on my leg.  It was a little itchy at first, so I didn't think anything of it. By Friday I noticed it hurt more than itched and it was getting redder.  I showed Michael and my mom and they both thought I was over reacting and the redness was from scratching.

This is a picture of what the bite looked like on Saturday morning.  Once Michael saw it, he told me I had to go to a doctor.  I was in a lot more pain, especially when I walked.  The bite was very swollen and standing on it increased the blood flow to the bite and caused it to throb.  Also, walking was a challenge because it's on the back of my leg and the skin was very tight and hurt when I stretched my leg out.

I went to a Walgreen's Take Care Clinic.  (I highly recommend going here rather than a Redi Med.  I felt like the doctor really listened to me and that she knew what she was talking about.)  She informed me that I was most likely bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider.  She prescribed me some antibiotics and cream for the bite, but warned me that if by Monday it wasn't better that I should go to the E.R.

We went to Gonzales on Saturday to visit Michael's mom.  After a tasty Thai lunch (which included Sweet Rice, the best rice ever) I noticed the bite had gotten larger.  Mali (Michael's mom) suggested we mark the edge to track the swelling. This picture was taken Saturday night.  The inner circle was drawn around 3pm, by Saturday night it had swelled to the outer circle.

At this point I started to worry, I really didn't want to go to the E.R.

Thankfully, when I woke up on Sunday the swelling had decreased.  Obviously the antibiotics were working, and as a side effect I was exhausted.  I spent all day laying down.  Though even if I felt well enough to move Michael wouldn't let me! Thankfully, he took care of me this weekend and in a few days the bite should be gone!

1 comment: