Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Spectacular Now

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

I decided to read this book after learning the movie version was coming out this summer and one of my favorite actresses was starring - Shailene Woodley. I have enjoyed her on Secret Life of the American Teenager (which sadly has ended), and I am so excited she has a few movies coming out soon.
Life is spectacular. Forget the dark things. Take a drink and let time wash them away to where ever time washes away to.
Sutter Keely. He's the life of the party. He always has his 7-Up and booze in hand. His life is just cruising along, until he meets Aimee.
Aimee's not popular. She's smart. She has dreams. But she doesn't have fun. Sutter decides he can change her and show her how to have a good time.

Of course she falls in love with him. And even though he keeps denying it, he loves her too.
She's drenched and bedraggled, but I've never loved anyone as much as I love her right now. That's how I know I'll have to give her up.
Tharp puts you in the mind of Sutter. He is a complicated character and a charming narrator. He just draws you in.

I read this book a few weeks ago and I still don't know what I thought of the ending. I guess I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I've come to expect it. So when this book didn't give Sutter and Aimee the 'happily ever after' I wanted, initially I was upset. But let's face it. The ending was real. People don't change. We don't always get a happy ending. Maybe that's the point of the book. A healthy dose of reality.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars. Read this book, it will definitively make you think.

I'm excited to see the movie and see if they change anything (especially the ending.) Looks like I will have to wait til it comes out on DVD in Oct/Nov since no movie theaters near by are showing it.

Buy Spectacular Now on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment