Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mom's Birthday

Me in my apron,
ready to bake!
This past weekend was my mom's birthday.  I decided to bake her a Velvet Cocoa Cake with Instant Buttercream by Martha Stewart.  I have baked a few of Martha's recipes before and they tasted very good.  (My favorite was the Fudgy Chocolate Brownies I made for Father's Day!)

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate cake, but this cake surprised me. The cake tasted almost brownie like, and it didn't need any icing in my opinion.

Speaking of the icing, the instant buttercream was my initial interest in this cake.  Who doesn't love buttercream icing, so an easy way to make that would be great.  This icing used marshmallow fluff (2 jars!!), butter, cocoa, and melted chocolate.

This icing was a little disappointing.  First off, the taste wasn't what I was expecting.  It was chocolaty, but not buttercreamy.  The texture wasn't like buttercream either.  It was more moussey and it melted very quickly in this Louisiana humidity.  So, I had to put the cake in the refrigerator which dried out the cake a bit.

Over all it was a tasty cake.  I will probably make the cake again but try a different icing.




No comments:

Post a Comment