Monday, July 18, 2011

Movie Review

Last week, two of my cowrkers (Jeff and Jimmy) highly recommended Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I'll admit that I was skeptical, this movie didn't seem appealing to me.  But I can admit that I was pleasantly surprised.  

My inner geek was delighted with all the old school video game references.  My personal favorite was the nod to Zelda.(Check out the full list of video game references.) The movie was very entertaining, and I think even non-gamer/nerds would enjoy it.



On Saturday, we went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. I am sad to admit that I didn't attend a midnight showing like I have previously done for the Harry Potter movies.  But I am getting to old to stay up with those teenie-boppers and have them cheering and clapping throughout the movie.  

The movie was amazing!  I am a huge fan, but I really think the special effects were great!  If you go in expecting the movie to reflect the book 100% then you probably won't love it as much.  But it was a great ending to this series.  I  think the books are better than the movies, but the movies are still exciting to watch and it's interesting to see how certain scenes will be adapted for film.  

I do have some complaints.  I don't think non-book readers will understand the whole Snape and Lilly Potter plot.  I think some people are thinking that Snape was Harry's father.  (FYI, Snape loved Lilly, called her a mudblood and she never spoke to him for 3 years in which time she and James married and had Harry.) Also, Neville's speech while Harry was "dead", while nice for his character, not really how it happened.  

The sad part is that I haven't read the book since it came out in 2007.  So I think it's time I reread the entire series. This way I can be in denial that it's over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment