Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Homemade Pickles

Our garden is doing very well this summer.  So good that we have so many cucumbers we didn't know what to do with them!


So I decided to make my own pickles! I figured it was better than letting all these cucumbers go bad.

I got some jars, pickling spices, and vinegar and researched some recipes. A lot of recipes called for boiling the jars, and needing tongs to take them out or having to wait weeks before you could enjoy your pickles.  I finally found an easy method that makes delicious pickles ready to eat in 24 hours.

I decided to pickle cucumbers, banana peppers and onions.


You can either buy a pickling season mix, or create your own using pickling salt, mustard seed, coriander seed, cloves, all spice and other spices - it's really up to your own taste preference.

You combine the seasoning mix with vinegar and water and simmer.


Warning - This is very strong smelling, make sure you open a window or ventilate or your house will smell for days.

Once it's simmering you just pour it over the cucumbers in the jars. I used a ladle and the mess was minimal.


I used Ball Jars with lids and bands (same you would use for making jams.) Then you refrigerate for 24 hours.  Because you are putting a hot liquid straight into the cold, the jars seal themselves.

I was so excited that the pickles turned out crisp and flavorful! We ate a whole jar (1 pint) in just 2 days!


I'm ready to make more and share with friends!










No comments:

Post a Comment