Monday, May 7, 2012

My Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Since I've been trying to find the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've baked 1,000s of cookies. For a while Michael was so tired of trying cookies that he forbid me from baking!

I've finally found a recipe that I enjoy, it makes chewy, thick cookies.  Whether you like crisp cookies or chewy cookies or cakey cookies, I'll share some tips I've learned that help you end up with the best cookies.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies
11 1/2 ounces Chocolate Chips - I use half semi sweet and half milk and you must must use the Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips
1 cup butter (2 Sticks), softened - Do not melt this, only soften for like 30 mins before you start
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed - I've used light or dark there isn't too much difference
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt


Mix Butter with both sugars, I do this in my stand mixer so they get creamed together. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. Mix on low until blended.

In another bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt. Then slowly add this to the mixer. Once combined add chips and mix with a spoon. 



I use a rounded tablespoon for each cookie, try to keep them in a ball shape, this makes prettier cookies when they are done. I can usually fit about 6 per sheet. (I think I make my cookies larger than most, because the original recipe says 4 dozen, but I usually get about 2.5 dozen.) 

*If your dough is to loose to form balls, which happens a lot here with this humidity, you can refrigerate the dough for 30+ minutes and it is much easier to handle. You can also freeze the dough to bake at a later date.



Bake at 375° for 9 minutes. Be careful not to over cook! (Remember that the cookies will still continue to cook while resting on the baking sheet)  

Remove from oven and let the baking sheet rest on a cooling rack for 2 minutes, then use a spatula to remove the cookies and allow them to rest on cooling racks for a few minutes.


I've made these with Splenda as well, and they come out nearly the same.  I've also tried to make them with apple sauce or butter substitute to lower the fat/calories, but those cookies didn't not turn out to taste the same (in my opinion). 

I enjoy my cookies a day after baking, they get a delicious chewy texture!



No comments:

Post a Comment