Friday, November 15, 2013

Best Chocolate Cake

I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake. (I prefer chocolate icing on yellow cake.) But I decided to make a chocolate cake while family was in town last week.

One of my go to blogs for recipes is The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond. I did a quick search and found The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. A chocolate cake that bakes in 20 minutes and I had nearly all the ingredients on hand! And with a title like that, I had to see if it really was The Best.

The cake batter has butter and lots of cocoa powder so I had a good feeling it would be tasty.  But I was hoping it would also be moist and not bitter chocolaty.

I didn't sift the flour but you might want to if you are OCD about smooth batter like I am.

The one ingredient I didn't have on hand was buttermilk, and I think it is what takes the chocolate cake to another level of yumminess!

The recipe says to use an ungreased sheet pan, but I sprayed mine before pouring the batter in.


You can see some of the lumps in the batter from not sifting the flour.

The best part about this recipe is the cake only bakes for 20 minutes!

The BEST BEST thing about this cake is the icing. It was amazing, I am surprised I didn't eat it all before the cake was done baking.


I omitted the nuts because not everyone in my family is a fan of nuts. The icing is more of a chocolate ganache/glaze. It pours over the cake beautifully. I think I will use it on other cakes I bake because it was so simple and so delicious! Again, if you are OCD about smoothness, you may want to sift the powdered sugar or use a mixer to get all the lumps out.


The icing will harden in just a few minutes. I kept my cake in the sheet tray and cut and served it right out the tray.


I can agree hands down that this is The BEST chocolate cake. Ever. It is smooth and moist, and milk chocolaty! You can even eat two slices and not feel guilty because its so thin because of the sheet tray. I will definitively make this chocolate cake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment